Thursday, June 23, 2011

Squirrel's be gone!!!!!!

I am having an awful problem with my pesky squirrels. They have been raiding my wonderful tomato crop. I have tried everything to deter them to no avail.

My first attempt was to attract them away from the tomatoes by offering them nice juicy ripe nectarine's which our tree in the front yard was abundantly producing. The squirrels seemed to like the nectarines just as much as they liked the tomatoes. They would take one bite and leave them alone then go to the first blushing beautiful tomato and take a bite out of it.

My wife, tired of hearing me complain about the squirrels, took it upon herself to research the problem and found a commercial product named CritterRidder and gave it to me as a father's day gift. It's main ingredient is pepper oil. I spread it around as directed. The squirrels continued their attack. They obviously like a little pepper on their tomatoes.

I am growing a small plot of Silver Queen corn in my old tomato bed. I thought that the squirrels would certainly prefer corn over tomatoes. So, I pulled several ears that were not going to fill out properly, shucked them and placed them in the tomato bed. It appears that the squirrels, like their host, enjoy silver queen corn with their tomatoes.

Our figs will be ripe in July and I will then try to entice the ground monkeys with them.

I think they have won the fight. All I have done is create a squirrel gourmet restaurant.

If anyone reading this has a solution, please post a comment on this blog. I will try anything to keep these squirrels from ruining perfectly good tomatoes!

1 comment: